The Panola College MLT program is designed to ensure that students are well prepared to enter the profession at the entry level, and continue learning throughout their careers.
Upon graduation with an AAS in MLT, the student will be able to function as a competent medical laboratory technician by:
- Demonstrate entry level competencies to assure accurate and reliable test results.
- Demonstrate an academic foundation sufficient for passage of a national certification examination and as well as for continuation of advanced education.
- Demonstrate effective communication, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrate proper technique in the collection, handling, preparation, testing, and storage of all biological specimens in the laboratory.
- Correctly perform testing on blood and body fluids.
- Recognize and understand the importance of quality control in all aspects of the laboratory.
- Operate basic laboratory instrumentation safely and properly.
- Perform corrective and preventative maintenance on laboratory equipment
- Demonstrate appropriate professional behavior and interpersonal skills with patients, co-workers, peers, and instructors.
- Evaluate results and demonstrate the ability to identify errors.
- Utilize contemporary computer technology in the laboratory.
- Explain the clinical significance of laboratory procedures.
- Determine the priority of laboratory requests and demonstrate the ability arrange the work load appropriately.
- Demonstrate ethical standards of the laboratory professional in relation to medical information and patient care.